[In the news] Fedora and GNOME branding drama: Missing the big picture

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Wed Apr 20 09:06:13 UTC 2011

1) I doubt Zonker would have posted something like that while he was still
OpenSuse project leader. But since he's a journalist again, all he wants is
clicks and this seems a bit link-baity to me.

2) The market share argument is utterly irrelevant and idiotic. Yes, Linux
has very little market share and yes, Fedora is an even smaller part of
that, but if you think it through to the end, his argument ends in "let's
give up doing a distro", because apparently it isn't worth it anyway.

If you are of the opinion that branding doesn't matter, than a distro is
just a curated selection of 100% upstream packages. At this point, Arch is a
much better distro than Fedora, IMO, because it has an even more upstream
desktop. But a good distro is more than that and it seems to me Zonker
should agree with that, considering how much he was constantly perpetuating
OpenSuse's branding and marketing when he was still working for them.

Fab