[In the news] Fedora and GNOME branding drama: Missing the big picture

Neville A. Cross neville at taygon.com
Sat Apr 23 01:31:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 12:57 -0500, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
<snip>
> > This is just my opinion and I may be wrong but something tells me this
> > is heathy.
>
> Sure, internal drama that distracts team members from working together
> and making forward progress is *always* healthy. </sarcasm>

For years there has been an effort to get user base. There has been a
shift toward increase collaboration base. Then the big picture is how
hard is to get a new collaborators, how long you can have it on board
and other related questions. Listening to internal drama may be
important for people having those issues. Specially if there is value
associated to keep those people on board,  but outsiders (as one that
his work has not been shacked) may use sarcasm to belittle others
peoples feelings.

Sure there is need to maintain user base, and probably branding may not
be very important to newbies or casual users... Anyway they should
tryout several options until they feel that they are ready to "root"
themselves. When they become contributors, branding gives sense of
belonging. At this point I think branding matters. Small details
matters.

I think about this as a bug... for some people will be disruptive, for
others will be trivial. The big picture will be how important are those
people that this bug is disrupting to keep the project going forward. It
has been said that it is better to get one new contributor that one
thousand new users (Think it was Paul Frields who wrote that on one
mailing list). It took me some time to digest it, because I was on the
old paradigm of creating user base.

Best regards

Neville A. Cross
yn1v at fedoraproject.org