[In the news] Fedora rides again on System z: Hope for PowerPC as well

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:52:25 UTC 2011

Hi

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/71391

"At Red Hat, it is clearly important from a future perspective as Fedora
is our development platform for our next Red Hat Enterprise Linux
releases, so we have a strong interest in having a working System z
release on Fedora. Doing this in house would mean the same effort but
without community feedback and involvement, and we've seen for many
other architectures how important community feedback is."

"Also, although System z is often seen as existing only for
mission-critical deployments and production environments, there are
cases where even on those big mainframes, companies want to evaluate
something on Linux or do a pilot for a Linux environment. For these
deployments, we've seen occasional requests for Fedora on System z."

Rahul