Old HootSuite account

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:52:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 02:38:57PM +0200, Gent Thaçi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith at fedoraproject.org>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Paul Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > When we originally started HS we did so with some trepidation given it
> > > was a non-FOSS service. I'm not really shot in the arm by paying for
> > > the service, unless we have a clear idea of what that gains us. I
> > > briefly surveyed free tools again and have found nothing that offers
> > > the "many people share a social presence" features of HS. But do we
> > > need their console, analytics, etc. to fulfill some goals? To what
> > > extent are we comfortable or willing to pay for a non-FOSS service for
> > > marketing purposes?
> >
> > I'm not comfortable paying for a HootSuite account.  I'd prefer to
> > look for a FOSS tool, or continue to do what we're doing.
>
> Although I am not part of the Marketing team I agree with Jared to find FOSS
> alternatives. Identi.ca has it's own default option to auto-post to Twitter
> and you can even post to identi.ca via email so you can then create an list
> which auto-sends emails to identi.ca's email.

This doesn't correspond well with your suggestions of ifttt or
friendfeed, but regardless I'm in favor of FOSS, as I think most
people here are.  I'd like to turn those +1 votes into some more
concrete solutions, and people who will be willing to put in a few
hours on technical bits we might need to implement them.

--
Paul