Social networking is dead.

Hiemanshu Sharma fedora at theindiangeek.in
Wed Mar 2 04:09:08 UTC 2011

On 02-Mar-2011, at 2:52 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> OK, not really, but I got your attention.
>
> But our social networking feeds are kinda dead.  More specifically,
> our identi.ca/Twitter @fedora output.  They're silent, like a ninja
> only without nunchucks or throwing stars.
>
> In large part this is thanks to HootSuite's closing up their entire
> value prop to paid customers only, leaving free accounts like ours
> dangling in the wind.  What's that?  Putting some of our eggs in a
> non-free basket didn't work out?  Well, it's a risk we took with eyes
> open, at least.  It was the least ineffective of a lot of suboptimal
> alternatives, and at least for a while it was working well.
>
> The sad fallout is that our identi.ca/twitter feeds are quiet, and we
> should endeavor to fix that.
>
> I did have an idea about this, but it won't help us in the short term:
> to manage access to our identi.ca feed through Insight via a
> well-supported Drupal module.  There are a couple to choose from, and
> the great thing is all the group access would happen automagically
> thanks to our existing FAS integration.
>
> But... that doesn't help us *right now*.
>
> AFAICT, there are no free services that facilitate team sharing of
> identi.ca/twitter duties.  There are several aggregators out there,
> and several multiplexers, but none for collaboration.  Rather than
> wait for one to emerge, we should get the access into the right
> people's hands now, and look for a better solution immediately after
> that (up to and including the idea above).
>
> The fastest way to fix the problem, I believe, is to simply send out
> the password to the identi.ca account, via GPG-encrypted email, to
> each of the people listed in our FAS group.  Is that acceptable?
>

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>          Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com

Hey,

Some time ago I wrote a script to update my twitter account from the CLI (using python and the python-twitter library), it also has basic functions like search, follow, etc. I can edit it and add identi.ca support to it as well (a very trivial change in api call) so it can be used by you, and updates both the accounts at one time, and also you can still remain free (It was released as GPLv3). It's hosted in my github account here : https://github.com/hiemanshu/Tweeter

-H
P.S. : There is no GUI for it, I started writing one but stopped because there were already too many GUI clients out there