Social networking is dead.

Luke Slater tinmachin3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:15:37 UTC 2011

On 9 March 2011 15:51, Fabian A. Scherschel <fab at sixgun.org> wrote:
> Oh, yeah, I know that. Sorry. What I was trying to say was that we shouldn't
> neglect microblogging because I think it could be a very good PR resource
> for us. Sorry if I was unclear....
> Fab
>

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 04:27:16PM +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
>> > Hi, Paul!

>> > From that page:
>> >
>> > While this is not necessarily the target audience for the
>> > distribution<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base>,
>> > it is important to fit our messages to our perceived audience for the
>> > medium
>> > of microblogging.
>> >
>> > Comparing that to:
>> >

>> >    - Voluntary Linux
>> >
>> > consumer<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base_-_voluntary_Linux_consumer>
>> >    -
>> > Computer-friendly<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base_-_computer-friendly>
>> >    - Likely
>> > collaborator<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base_-_likely_collaborator>
>> >    - General productivity
>> >
>> > user<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base_-_general_productivity_user>
>> >

>> > I would say that especially identi.ca (from my experience there, I admit
>> > my
>> > personal feed is pretty pre-selected but nonetheless) fits all of these
>> > to a
>> > great extend. I think especially identi.ca can be an awesome PR tool for
>> > Fedora. I personally got probably 20+ people on there trying Fedora in
>> > the
>> > last 3 months alone. It's a very friendly audience to our cause. :)
>>
>> Hi Fab,
>>
>> We already use identi.ca as our source for microblogging.  It feeds to
>> our Twitter account.
>>
>> --
>> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>>          Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
>> --

The lack of microblogging was more down to the technical difficulties
we were having trying to find an alternative to HootSuite's
collaboration services, I think. I'm liking the idea of using a Drupal
module with FAS integration - How long will it take to get something
like that in place?

This lack of a collaboration feature is certainly a niche in the market ...

Thanks,
--
Luke Slater
:O)