[In the news] GNOME 3 — A “Fresh” Approach to Desktop Computing

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:21:59 UTC 2011

Hi

http://www.howzzit.com/tech/apps/desktop/gnome-3-review-a-fresh-approach-to-desktop-computing/

"Yes, I know I sounded like a nag till now, but overall GNOME Shell is
certainly a welcome change on how we are supposed to interact with our
desktops. Comparing it to how KDE 4.0 looked and felt like when it first
came out, GNOME 3.0 appears to be much more stable and ready for prime
time. In fact, I’m writing this after having exclusively used it for two
weeks straight. Give it a try, if you are plain bored of looking at the
same 2-panel desktop interface for a decade.

The next version, GNOME 3.2, comes out in another six months, which
promises a lot many changes. Till then, apart from the the openSUSE- and
Fedora-based LiveCDs, you can also make use of the Official GNOME 3 PPA
if you’re using Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narhwal. Not to forget, Fedora 15,
that comes out by the end of this month, will be the first major distro
to default to GNOME 3."

Rahul