Self Introduction: Thomas Denham

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 02:31:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 17:00 +0100, Thomas Denham wrote:
> Hi, my name is Thomas Denham and I live in the United Kingdom. My Fedora
> Account System (FAS) username is tmfdenham, I am new to IRC and would
> like help getting started!

Hi Thomas,

I've replied to your email on the join mailing list with info on using
the IRC. Please let us know if you need more assistance.

> I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through online research, and
> am interested in joining because I am a desktop user of Fedora (17) and
> feel passionately about the benefits of Linux (Fedora) as an OS and
> predominantly FOSS.
>
> This is the first FOSS project I have worked on!
>
> I have had some limited experience of marketing in my day job and chair
> a forum for 30 or so people in relation to my full time job which is all
> about bringing people together. I have produced posters/flyers and had
> to promote various projects.
>
> My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:
> (Marketing Skills) – I feel I am apt at utilizing marketing strategies
> and I am used to building rapport with people from all walks of life. I
> understand the importance of PR and a multi-tiered approach to
> marketing.
>
> (Other Skills) – Every project I take on, I commit myself 100% and
> really give it my all – I am an enthusiastic and driven person who would
> love to put that energy into promoting Fedora to the general public and
> highlighting the benefits of choosing this branch of Linux.

Awesome! You'll fit right in :)

> I am a relative new comer to Linux and Fedora so would like to learn
> much more about the core of the business and how I can help to market
> it.

The best way of learning more about Fedora/Linux (IMO) is to use it, and
work with it. Contributing to a FOSS project, which you're looking to
do, helps further develop ones knowledge.

> When I'm not working on Fedora, I am working full time and fit in
> hobbies around that!
>
> A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are a marked increase in
> uptake by the general computing population, and a clearer, wider
> understanding of the importance of FOSS etc. In my area it is relatively
> unheard of and I would like some support in marketing to as many people
> as possible in a clear non-to-technical way.
>
> I am wondering about what marketing resources you have collectively in
> terms of posters, leaflets, online banners and introductory articles
> that I could use to assist in marketing in my area.

The design team takes care of banners and the rest. A collection of
marketing collateral is available here[1]. More resources[2].

Some artwork specific to Fedora 17 is here[3].

> I would also like some more information on how this marketing community
> works as I have little idea!

I guess you'll learn as you hang around here a little more :)
You could go through the list archives[4] over the past few months
maybe? It would give you an idea of what goes on.

The wiki page on joining the marketing team has some info, if you
haven't looked at it already.[5]

> I hope that I can begin to get actively involved in this community!
> Please help me get started!

We look forward to working with you! Welcome to Fedora!

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_collateral
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork#Resources
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F17_Artwork
[4] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/