Helping to improve advertising of test days and other things

Jason Brooks jasonbrooks at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 17 20:17:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So, I was just hanging out in the weekly kernel meeting on IRC, and asked
> how their virtual fad for kernel regression testing went, and heard that
> they had incredibly low turnout, and it was also noted that test days in
> general kind of have low or less than we'd like to have turnout.  Which
> seems like something we can help with, in a few ways:
>
> #1: Work with the QA team to help them figure out how to get information to
> us so that we can get it out to various channels - twitter, facebook, etc. -
> and what information we'd need and when.
>
> A lot of times, it seems like testing might sound daunting/"not for me" when
> in reality, it might be easy or take 5 minutes or etc. So maybe things we
> could ask for would be...
>
> * How long does this take?
> * Is this "easy", "hard," ... what skills do you need?
> * Is this a "you just need a USB key and a way to download" or is this
> potentially going to destroy your system?
>
> For the kernel regression virtual fad - which wasn't really a test day - as
> an example, it's (a) got the word "kernel" in it, which I think
> automatically makes a lot of people say "uhoh, not for me," even though
> there may have been ways for them to participate.
>
> Anyway: it seems like something we could add value to - just with something
> like, "Send us your info a week in advance, we'll work up some tweets or
> content and help drive folks back to you."
>
> #2: See if there are additional things we could produce that can help people
> get acquainted with the idea or process of testing.
>
> Maybe a video how-to? Not really sure here what would be valuable - would be
> something to reach out to the QA folks about.
>
> #3: Josh Boyer added in the kernel meeting that it would be cool to just
> have a "Boot the rawhide kernel today. Does it work? Tell us why or why not"
> type of thing - I don' tknow if that would be targeted as a once a week type
> thing, or what. Maybe this would be an interesting thing to tackle - how can
> we help them make this sound less daunting/more friendly, get the word out,
> and have fun with it? Maybe a quick screencast of how to walk through this
> type of thing from start to finish?
>
> Thoughts, comments? Anyone willing to reach out to either QA or the kernel
> folks to pick their brains on this one?

Great idea -- It's important for Fedora, and also important for all
the projects that rely on Fedora. I'm in itch-scratching mode right
now due to a 3.5 regression that broke oVirt, and I'd want to know
about/participate in this testing myself.

I'm down to reach out to them. Can you point me in the right direction?

Jason