Coordination in social networks

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 15:47:24 UTC 2012

Joerg Simon píše v Út 28. 08. 2012 v 16:47 +0200:
> On 28.08.2012 15:34, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> > This has been on my radar too, but I was hoping the people listed on
> > the Microblogging page on the wiki were still doing things. But I'd
> > been thinking about just what you guys have--inquiring about whether
> > they're still maintaining, etc. A social-media mailing list may be in
> > order, separate from the marketing list where we can have those
> > account admins join and as necessary send mail that says, "Please
> > faceplustweet this:" so it doesn't get lost in our general mktg list
> > traffic.
>
> i am not sure if this was discussed before - and even if it is a good
> idea, but if we really want to have content in g+ etc. why not re-post
> our planet content on this places?

That would be an improvement, but I think if we want to do something
about it we should do it right. I wouldn't degrade social networks just
to RSS readers. They offer much more and we should utilize it. (for
example creating events for every Fedora Test Day, post pictures from
events etc.).

And every social network is somehow specific, so I don't think there is
a tool to rule them all. Writing style for Twitter is definitely
different than writing style for FB/G+. And I personally don't like FB
statuses that are just forwarded tweets from Twitter.

I maintain accounts of Fedora CZ and Red Hat Czech at FB/G+/Twitter. I
used to send the same messages to all of them from one tool and stopped
doing so because people didn't like it. They want Twitter-style messages
at Twitter, events and G+-style messages at G+.

That's why I'd prefer a group of people who would post messages and
create events, add pictures manually instead of just hooking up the
accounts to RSS feeds or using one tool to send messages to all of them.

Jiri