The Inquirier on F17

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 00:44:25 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 11:44 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 4 June 2012 17:01, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johannbg at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Not when there is a whole corporation voting for their *coworkers* in the
>> elections which they either do so because of their own free will or because
>> their manager might have put them up to it.

This is a risk that comes with all corporation ( Red Hat including ) in
community involvement.

> Oh come on. Your accusation is no different from saying everyone from
> Norway will vote for Norwegians and against Swedish. It is base
> discrimination and only worthy to be pointed out and reminded it has
> no place here. You don't trust Red Hat or any corporation, fine. You
> want to make base accusations about agendas and mystery agents, please
> take them off the marketing list.
>
> Yes I work for Red Hat. But I will not vote for someone because
> someone tells me to or because they work for Red Hat.

I never said Red Hat put them up to it but the risk certainly does exist
( as it does with any corporate ).

I know for a fact from one Red Hat maintainer within the project that
could not update his package until his manager *granted* him permission
to do so thus let me ask you this does the project have any public
guarantee from Red Hat that their employees are allowed to make decision
which may or may not be in the best interest of the company or it's
partners without any ramification from within Red Hat with their
participation in the project?

In essence those Red Hat employees that are participating in the project
regardless if it's of their own accord or as a part of their job
description stand equal to any other community member and are acting of
their own free will and their actions are entirely their own?

If so feel free to point me to that statement so I can pass it on to
other Red Hat employees to inform them that they don't need permission
from their manager to maintain their own package as they see fit within
the project...

If that public statement/guarantee actually exist then I shall forever
put my "base accusations about agendas and mystery agents" ( as you put
it ) to sleep however if it does not exist I suggest you accept the fact
that there is indeed distinction between Red Hat and it's employees and
the community...

JBG