Muktware: Red Hat Clarifies Doubt Over UEFI Secure Boot Solution

Karin Bakis kbakis at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 10:39:57 UTC 2012

Muktware

Red Hat Clarifies Doubts Over UEFI Secure Boot Solution

Wed, 2012-06-06 04:13 by Swapnil Bhartiya

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) secure boot is a major worry for GNU/Linux user as it will make it impossible for them to install their favourite distro on hardware with secure boot.

Microsoft is pushing for secure boot with Windows 8 which is slated to be out within a year. The restrictions Microsoft is pushing on the hardware vendors is undoubtedly a concern for Linux user. However, at the same time, experts like Linus Torvalds believe that Secure Boot is a good thing and instead of fighting with it we should sign our own modules. Linux is known for it's security so secure boot does eliminate some real-world exploits where fraudulently modified early boot code has introduced vulnerabilities into the operating system.

If secure boot is so good, why is Linux community worried about it?

Red Hat's Tim Burke explains, "A major shortcoming of the initial UEFI secure boot implementation was the lack of easy to use accommodations for operating systems other than Microsoft Windows, including the many variants of Linux."
Full article:

http://www.muktware.com/3699/secure-boot-uefi-fedora-red-hat-99-ubuntu-microsoft

Karin Bakis
Public Relations