GSoC idea relating to Fedora Videos

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 10 02:00:11 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:
> As promised in the Fedora Videos meeting this week, I proposed an idea on
> the GSoC 2012 project ideas page that relates to the Fedora Videos project.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Assemble_a_toolchain_for_recording_screencasts_easily
>
> The idea I proposed is to assemble a toolchain (a group of tools) for
> creating screencasts easily. I think this is the biggest challenge that we
> face in making the Fedora Videos project successful, and seems to have
> enough depth to fill a summer project.
>
> The output of the project is detailed step-by-step instructions about how to
> make a professional-looking screencast using software in the Fedora
> repository. That may included chasing down & fixing bugs in the existing
> tools, discovering new tools and getting them packaged and learning about
> techniques in the environment around the computer, such as how to select &
> setup a microphone or how to draft a good speaking script.
>
> We want to remove all bumps in the road for creating a screencast. The best
> way to do that is to acknowledge that their likely are bumps and someone
> needs to really dig into all the steps involved so it can be fun and easy.
>
> -Dan

Hello Dan,

Thanks for supporting and proposing an idea.

However according to GSoC program, documentation cannot be considered
as a part of the
project. Only coding/ development is the concern. We should document
it ourselves or we
can get the students' support to finish the documentation after the
GSoC program has finished.

As a result can we add some task to make the idea more acceptable for
the program?
Following are the identified tasks currently associated with the idea.
May be we can set up the infrastructure
(like drupal module to host the videos and sort them out and display
so that videos can be easily found and submit)

Team ideas welcome !

Task:
assemble a toolchain (a recommended collection of software available
in the Fedora repositories)
chasing down & fixing bugs in the existing tools
discovering new tools and getting them packaged
add sound recording support to the Gnome 3 desktop recorder

Thanks Dan again for your support.
--
Regards,
Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera(bckurera)