[In the News] Fedora 17 & GNOME 3.4: Return to a useful Linux desktop (Review)

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Mon May 21 08:53:09 UTC 2012

Krzysztof Hajdamowicz píše v Ne 20. 05. 2012 v 20:22 +0200:

> 20 maj 2012 02:44, "Davi Garcia" <davigarcia at fedoraproject.org>
> napisał(a):
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Jason Brooks
> > <jasonbrooks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > In a brief ZDNet review, Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols offers faint
> praise
> > > for Fedora 17:
> >
> > "That said, I did find this new Fedora with GNOME to be usable. I
> have
> > to say I didn’t find the last version to be at all useful. Still,
> I’m
> > left wondering why Fedora and GNOME first went in such a mis-guided
> > direction in the first place. It’s great that Fedora and GNOME are
> > much better than they were, but they’re still not for me, anyway, as
> > useful as the last Fedora with GNOME 2.x was. I can see that Fedora
> is
> > better, but I’m going to be sticking with Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and
> > openSUSE for my daily desktop use."
> >
> > To tell you the truth, I don't understand what people see of too bad
> > in Gnome 3.X. I confess that I had some difficult at the beginning,
> > but after some days, I loved it! Gnome 3 is the redefinition of the
> > concept of desktop enviroment. Maybe people be just afraid of the
> > change...
> >

> To be honest, I've moved from Fedora 16 with GNOME 3 into Ubuntu with
> Unity environment and I'm amazed. Ubuntu eats less RAM, gives better
> battery consumption results and most important: Unity made me more
> productive.
> And yes, I liked GNOME 3 and I feel native in it

Well, I know about tens of users that have left Unity for either GNOME 3
in Ubuntu or another distribution for two reasons: Unity is slow (which
really is) and not productive. Some of them were power users.
In my experience, most people that have equally tried both Unity and
GNOME 3 like GNOME 3 more.

But there is no generally better environment. Everyone can pick what he
likes.

Jiri