"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:03:14 UTC 2012

On Nov 27, 2012 5:58 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/2012 01:03 AM, Ruth Suehle wrote:
>>
>> On 11/27/2012 07:28 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure if she actually was participating in the Fedora
community she would not have made this *mistake*

>> Have you ever been new in a community? Have you ever done something you
thought better of later?

> Yes and then I do what is in my power to fix it will Red Hat do the
honorable thing and contact all the media it sent that to and have those
that got it wrong correct that mistake?
> ( Not that they can once the digital wave is on the move there are few if
any that can change it course )

>>> but why did not you your self as the FPL, Jaroslav Reznik as the FPM or
anyone from the market community follow the beta announcement sop and send
an announcement instead of having Red Hat disgrace the community, the
community's hard work and cast shadow to all those Red Hat employees that
go that extra line to make Fedora as awesome as it is with an subject line
where it claims to release Fedora?

Honestly? It looks like a case of "ball dropped."  And if someone had
raised *that* flag this morning - it would have been helpful then - but
that didn't happen.  I don't think it's a too-late situation though, but
others may opinion otherwise.

>> Disgrace the community? Really? You're caught up on an email subject
line that you never would have seen if it weren't for the way lwn posts
such things rather than the actual content that lauds the community.

> Yes when it gets sent to one of it not the most technical online news
site in the world and I also notice headlines like these "Red Hat's Fedora
18 "Spherical Cow" Beta Now Available" [1] which should say "Red Hat's
sponsored Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Beta Now Available" or something more
along those lines cropping up all over the internet.

> When that happens I feel our community and our community members aren't
getting the credit they deserve for their work within the project.

>>> They s"ponsor the project that's it,
>>
>> And as sponsor, they do awesomely helpful things like support us,
whether that's by paying an FPL to do a hard job or by sending out press
releases to a long-standing press list with a Red Hat name behind it, which
gets more eyeballs. That's a nice thing. And it's not ownership, and
there's nothing about the announcement that implies otherwise.

> "The post you point to is nearly a week old, not a release announcement
for the beta. Perhaps there is a better choice for a community-generated
release announcement (though I didn't see one in a quick look), but what
you point to is not it, I'm afraid. We generally prefer those kinds of
announcements over press releases (with proper or improper subjects),
fwiw."
>   jake one of LWN editors.
>
> In short if we would have made an announcement they would have published
it over the press releases ( which says even more about the quality of the
news site ) so why was our FPL first and foremost not focusing on getting
our own announcement out the door instead of theirs?

> Who is ultimately responsible for ensuring release announcements go out
the door?

For Alpha and Beta, as long as i can remember, release engineering has done
the announcement.  For final, the FPL does the announcement.  That said,
this may be some sort of "historical knowledge of how it happens" thing and
not actually an SOP- in looking through releng's sop's i didnt see anything
there, and the marketing sop is not completed.

But at the end of the day - yeah, that's me in the ultimately responsible
spot. I ddin't notice the lack thereof, nobody yelled, i screwed up.  It
happens.  It's not a case of me "prioritizing" one over the other, though.

> Will we be seeing the same thing happening again with final?

I sure as heck hope that we do have a bit of lessons-learned mentality
around here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Red-Hat-Fedora-Beta-Spherical-Cow-Linux,19345.html