"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

"J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:17:12 UTC 2012

On 11/28/2012 03:02 AM, inode0 wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:03:40PM -0600, inode0 wrote:

  <snip>

>> There is a very real risk of Fedora being a self-referential toy operating
>> system no one really uses (where "no one" excepts a few strange people like
>> me who have been running it as my sole OS for years). Instead, we should
>> emphasize and take advantage of our ecosystem -- Fedora, RHEL, EPEL,
>> CentOS/Scientific Linux, the whole shebang. Each part makes the whole thing
>> stronger.
> I agree with this but the fact is that I don't see any of that even
> mentioned in press releases and similar reporting except for the
> connection to RHEL which is why people not inside the project come to
> think it is only about RHEL. And, of course, the many people who
> contribute without external affiliations to other identifiable parts
> of this ecosystem are always left out.
>
> If we can find a way to broaden this sort of message I'm all for that.

What benefits do you see the RHEL clones bringing to the ecosystem?

I see them doing actually quite the opposite ( reduce income for red hat
which in turn is reflected in fewer ( upstream ) maintainers )

I see more value in them in the eco system coming here and maintain an
Fedora LTS release then maintaining those clones

JBG