"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:29:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/2012 03:02 AM, inode0 wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:03:40PM -0600, inode0 wrote:
>

>  <snip>
>

>>> There is a very real risk of Fedora being a self-referential toy
>>> operating
>>> system no one really uses (where "no one" excepts a few strange people
>>> like
>>> me who have been running it as my sole OS for years). Instead, we should
>>> emphasize and take advantage of our ecosystem -- Fedora, RHEL, EPEL,
>>> CentOS/Scientific Linux, the whole shebang. Each part makes the whole
>>> thing
>>> stronger.
>>
>> I agree with this but the fact is that I don't see any of that even
>> mentioned in press releases and similar reporting except for the
>> connection to RHEL which is why people not inside the project come to
>> think it is only about RHEL. And, of course, the many people who
>> contribute without external affiliations to other identifiable parts
>> of this ecosystem are always left out.
>>
>> If we can find a way to broaden this sort of message I'm all for that.
>

> What benefits do you see the RHEL clones bringing to the ecosystem?
>
> I see them doing actually quite the opposite ( reduce income for red hat
> which in turn is reflected in fewer ( upstream ) maintainers )
>
> I see more value in them in the eco system coming here and maintain an
> Fedora LTS release then maintaining those clones

The ecosystem is MUCH broader than the few groups listed above but I
agree with the general position that we would do well to speak more
about how Fedora fits into other parts of the broader community and
how that mutually benefits both Fedora and the rest of the "whole
shebang." I don't really want to quibble about one group or another as
part of this discussion.

John