"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Nov 29 12:50:37 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 10:51 AM, Sarah White wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>     I wonder if the tenor of this
>     conversation at numerous points would have been inhospitable to a
>     newcomer.
>
> IMO, yes. I've found parts of this thread to be discouraging toward
> contributing to the Fedora project and community. If I were new to the
> community, I'd now be hesitant to write any marketing materials,
> documentation, wikipages, etc. because if I make a mistake - technical,
> grammatical, or historical - I'm going to be personally disparaged in
> public and my apologies ignored. Putting such pressure on community
> members to be perfectly right all the time is going to bottleneck
> participation and suck the enthusiasm out of contributors.

Then you misunderstood: what was talked here was not about the Fedora
community, if the announcement would have made inside the community, the
problem would have been corrected.
So if you, Sarah, write a marketing material, put it on the wiki, pass
it to the list for review and send it out after that (a normal community
process), all is fine.
But if you, whoever you may be, write a marketing material, make a big
mistake in it and send it out on your own without community review...
expect the reactions to be not so nice.
What happened here was the later situation. We are a community,
everybody makes mistakes, but if the work is done inside the community
then in the end problems will be solved.

> Please, please don't judge another community member's 'realness' or
> dismiss their value to the project because you've never personally
> interacted with them or because they make a mistake.

Note that it wasn't about a community member, the person joined the
mailing list only after the incident. When the announcement was sent she
was just an employee of our sponsor. She is new and inexperienced but
being here she will hopefully learn more.