Improve Fedora Project

Arnav Kalra arnavkalra007 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 18:12:34 UTC 2012

> 1. Control panel. This sounds interesting. Perhaps you could contact
> the owners of the various 'system-config' tools and see if they might
> work on something? See also, this feature which wasn't ready for f18:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemConfigCleanup

Mandriva/ROSA/Mageia have a nice control panel. Even Opensuse has one. We
should implement this.

> 2. Tool to disable selinux
>
> I think the selinux troubleshoot tools are pretty good. Does the 'allow
> this' setting in there not work for these cases?

I agree. Disabling SElinux is usually not needed.

> 3. Multilingual support in Fedora
>
> This has been driven by two things: space on media is very limited. If
> we added languages it would grow to large to easily distribute. :( If
> we dropped cd's and looked at 1gb as a target perhaps these would have
> space?

We can have 2 images or maybe 2 cds. I doubt people use languages other
than english.

> 5. Gparted on LiveCD
>
> I think it would be good to include all those tools on the live media.
> I'll mention it to the spins group...

Very important.

> 8. GNOME Shell on Fedora
>
> including gnome-tweak-tool has been suggested to the desktop folks
> several times, but they do not wish it to be included. You can try
> asking again on the desktop list. They feel the 'out of box' setup is
> right, and they don't want to encourage people to 'tweak' it.
>
> If you wish something besides gnome to be the default offering, feel
> free to bring it up on the board list. LXDE and Xfce are great, but
> they have a LOT less manpower than KDE or Gnome.

Lxde can be made to look great. I am currently typing this from rosa lxde
and it looks awesome. I have never tried mint lxde but i think it also
looks good. I think we should focus on a light de like lxde or xfce in
addition to a heavy de like gnome.

I also think we should have a portal where people can request new
programmes to be packaged for fedora.