[Fedora Magazine] Event Calendar

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 00:46:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 00:30 +0300, Zacharias Mitzelos wrote:
> So I made some tests with the calendar, and it full supports iCal as
> an import option. The only problem now is that the Fedora Calendar
> doesn't have all the list of Events (Comparing with the events posted
> on wiki). So either way we have to post the events on our own, either
> on the magazine's calendar or in the fedora calendar.. And another
> problem when importing is that on the Fedora Calendar all the events
> are in one category (instead from the magazine which we categorize
> them to FUDcons, FAD, Release Parties etc..) So when importing we have
> to categorize them again. (except the meetings, which can sort them
> all under one category)

Can this be avoided if we maintain different calendars on fedocal
itself? Instead of a single "Events" calendar, we could have separate
calendars for:

Release parties
FUDCons
FADs
Unconferences

Or we could request upstream to include a fixed set of "tags", if we
want to keep the one calendar?

(We already do categorize our events in this manner)

A subset of all the calendars on fedocal can then be exported and picked
up by fedora-magazine.

I already see some events on fedocal, but it wouldn't be too much work
to request FAmSCo to make this a mandatory step for all events. (I can
go ahead and file a ticket myself.)

Basically, I think it'll make more sense to keep fedocal the main
calendar for everything in the project, since it's FAS accessible and
then export required information to various places, including
fedora-magazine.

Would it also be possible to put a link to fedocal in the calendar page.
Something like:
"There's a lot going on in Fedora all the time! The complete community
calendar can be seen here: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/calendar"

> And I would highly recommend to write the events directly to the
> magazine.. (Besides the events are few and I don't think that it would
> be a problem posting them to the calendar every day or two ;)..)

If I'm not mistaken, only people who have write access to
fedora-magazine can do this. I think adding events to fedocal and
exporting them would be less work for you folks, since you won't have to
keep a look out for new events and then manually update it, and simpler
for the community.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,