Self-Introduction: (Jimmy Lamz)

James Lamz lamzjames at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:53:20 UTC 2013

Hi, my name is Jimmy Lamz and I live in Raleigh, NC (EST). My FAS username
is sox3502us, and my IRC <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IRC> nick is
sox3502us.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through an interest in the Fedora
project/Linux and OSS in general, and am interested in joining because I
would ultimately like to work at Red Hat and felt that this would be a
great way to gain exposure, build my expertise, and hone my skill set .

This is the first FOSS project I have worked on!

I've worked in corporate marketing in the past and currently work in an
account management/business development/sales role. (although in a
different industry)  Some of the types of projects I've worked on in the
past are market segmentation analysis, account plans/account management
presentations, distributing SWAG to customers, planning events,  and
various other sales and marketing type activities. (selling stuff, managing
contracts, negotiating deals, etc.)

My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:

   - (Marketing Skills) - Spreading the open source gospel to the people,
   updating and helping to manage content, helping out with whatever
   "corporate marketing" type skills I can!
   - (Other Skills) - I'm fairly tech savvy-- tell me what needs work or
   help and I will figure out how to do it. (but please don't ask me to write
   a bunch of code!)
   - I'd also like to learn how open source projects are executed, more
   technical detail about Linux, to be come a full fledged Fedora marketeer
   and ambassador.

When I'm not working on Fedora, I am in sales/account management at
Siemens. I'm a tech & video game nerd and Krav Maga enthusiast.

A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are to get the project more
exposure and to attract more users to Linux in general.  I think with some
of the things happening in the world we are on the cusp of OSS/Linux
becoming a lot more "mainstream". (e.g. valve software's "Steam box",
Android's smartphone dominance, microsoft windows sucking in general,
people becoming fed up with closed and proprietary stuff)

I am wondering about how to figure out what to do or what has priority? (is
it the mailing list? should I just pick something and start working on it
like updating the wiki?)

I'm really excited to dive into this but could use some guidance on what
areas need the most support and help.  Seems like there is quite a lot
going on but it is kind of scattered all over the place.  Does marketing
have a sort of "bug tracker" queue of things going on to work on?

Please help me get started!