Mooooove your eyes over here: F18 release announcement. Translations feedback appreciated as well....

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 08:56:40 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

As I promised (but not as soon as I had hoped) I've added some details
around features, as well as some other text, to the release
announcement:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F18_release_announcement

A few things I'd love to hear back on:

* The feature deprecation section.  I think it's been a long while
since we had this section - and it seems to me (I have been known to
be incorrect... a lot) that it feels like maybe those details have a
better home in the release notes. Either way, there is some additional
text in the section regarding "offer workarounds or alternatives,"
etc. that - if we keep this in - needs to go.  I guess my question is,
really, do people feel like this is "release announcement-worthy" -
bearing in mind that is is a pretty lengthy announcement as is - or
better suited to RN?

* Punniness and translations.  I'd like to get this wrapped up so that
our (totally awesome and fantastic) folks who translate the release
announcement can do that and be prepped for release day, and not
worried about "if it's going to change again." That said - the release
announcement is chuck-filled with puns - we really milked them for all
they were worth, and had a total field day with it.  Which is great -
it makes for a slightly less dry and boring announcement, and (to be
honest) makes writing it a heck of a lot less boring and dry, but
tends to make it really... awkward to translate, since a lot of the
puns don't really work in translation. (ie: I seriously doubt the
sound "mooooo" and the word translation for move are compatible in
other languages.)

So, I'll throw this out there as a proposal, and if any translators
are reading this, it would be great to have your feedback: Would it be
useful to provide a no-cow-jokes version, perhaps simply linked in a
commented-out way in the section where translators will add their
links to the translated documents so they actually see that a no-joke
version exists? It shouldn't be too hard - we just would need to make
sure that this version is locked down and considered by all to be
final, likely with a tag at the top saying "this is the final version,
please don't change as translations are now underway" - copy the
content to a secondary, no-puns announcement, and substitute some
simpler language in place of the cow-related fun.

Thoughts? Also, feedback on any other part of the announcement is of
course welcome, or you can follow the whole "it's a wiki, be bold" way
:)

-Robyn