New theme for the Magazine

Zacharias Mitzelos zacharias.mitzelos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 12:14:34 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

In this week's meeting[1] we discussed about the Magazine's slideshow on
the front page, mentioning that it has many bugs, more noticeable in
small and big monitors. Having installed more than one slideshow plugins
to test it, we have come to the conclusion that there is a problem with
the theme. Furthermore, there are more problems/bugs with the current
Magazine theme, such as that it is not light, causing the Magazine to
lag all the time, and not displaying new posts and changes to the front
page for a few hours/days. Also with this theme we have to add featured
images in the posts in order to be good looking in the front page,
adding always the fedora logo as we don't always have a specific image
about the post. Anyway the main problem is the slideshow (we are also
getting complains in our contact-us form[2]) and in order to remove it
we have to change the theme as well, as this theme is not good-looking
without the slideshow.

I have come up with some ideas about the new design, that covers most of
the issues we have. But I would like to show them to you instead of
describing them, as I found this specific theme by accident and I liked
it ;). In this link[3] a WP blog with some Magazine content is hosted
with the twenty thirteen theme. I tweaked a child theme I found to best
fit our needs. With this theme the featured image is not required and it
is optional. We don't have to add a slideshow of our posts in the front
page if we don't want to, as with the image at the top we are covered.
About the image at the top, I like the circle in the center, and we
could make something similar with Fedora infinity logos; but if we
choose to go with this theme, I leave that totally up to the design
team. We could also add widgets at the right side of the page, like we
did with the current magazine theme.

Comments/Thoughts/Flames?

Zacharias Mitzelos

[1]http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-11-18/fedora_marketing.2013-11-18-19.58.html
[2]http://fedoramagazine.org/contact-form/
[3]http://php-fedoramag.rhcloud.com/

Comments/thoughts/flames copyright of jzb ;P