RFC: Initial text for users' flyer

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 19:29:34 UTC 2013

Hi all,

First, thanks to Ankur for taking a crack at this. It's always tougher
to put the first draft on paper (so to speak) than to revise it. Thanks
much for this!

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 08:42:58AM -0600, Mike Ruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:02:51 +1100
> Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 09:20 -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > > Probably better to do this on the wiki, IMHO. Not everyone on the
> > > Marketing team is going to have a GitHub account, and may not be
> > > comfortable using git. Can we do this on the wiki?
> >
> > Moved text to wiki[1]
> >
> > [1]
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/For_Ambassadors/Home_users
>
> Looking at the wiki, it says "Apache Open Office" [1]. Would it be
> better to just say LibreOffice? This is the verbiage I propose:

I think (?) that the point of including AOO is that it's new to Fedora
20?

Whether it's worth highlighting in the flier is something I'm not sure
about. Thoughts?

FWIW, I think it'd be good to kick around what should go into a user's
flier - and focusing on new features may not be the right way to go.

If we assume that a user is new to Fedora, they don't really care if a
feature/application appeared in Fedora 20, 19, or Fedora Core 1. They
care that it exists. So how does the content of the flier speak to what
our target users (target here == consumer desktop users, right?) want?

ARM - very cool feature, probably not worth mentioning to this audience
unless it's related to things like Raspberry Pi.

GNOME - worth talking about the desktop, probably not from the
perspective (exclusively) of its new features. What's awesome about
GNOME for users?

Sugar - if we think a large percentage of the people reading the flier
are parents, might be worth mentioning this.

Enlightenment/KDE - If we think the audience is Linux-savvy, it might be
worth getting into desktop choice. If the audience is coming from
Windows/Mac OS X, we're muddying the waters trying to talk about 3x
desktop environments.

Application Installer - Yes! We should highlight 1) how easy it is to
install software and 2) the enormous selection of software that's at a
users' fingertips when they install Fedora.

Bluez 5 - if we need to mention bluetooth support, sure - but most users
aren't going to know Bluez 5 from Blue's Clues.

What else do we need to highlight for users? Thoughts, comments, flames?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Open Source and Standards, Red Hat