RFC: Initial text for users' flyer

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 00:59:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 14:29 -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> What else do we need to highlight for users? Thoughts, comments,
> flames?

When I created the draft, I had "what's new in Fedora 20?" in mind. The
text, therefore, only concentrates on new stuff, not the generic stuff
that comes with Fedora.

The flyer can:
- talk about fedora stuff for users in general
- talk about *new* stuff for users (Changes)
- mix a little of both

From the recent comments, I think we're leaning towards the third, but
it'll change quite a few things. For instance, instead of separate
sections for Gnome3.10, KDE4.11, Sugar0.100, and E17, we'll have
something like:

== Updated desktop interfaces! ==
Fedora 20 updates the original set of available desktops: Gnome to 3.10,
KDE to 4.11, Sugar to 0.100, XFCE, MATE, LXDE. These latest versions
come with a bunch of fixes, optimisations and new shiny application
sets. Fedora 20 also includes the powerful, yet flexible, Enlightment
desktop shell which was released after a decade of development.

Similarly, instead of Apache OOO and Libreoffice, we'll have:
== Not one, but two office suites! ==
etc.

There can be a new section that just lists the other stuff:
== What else?  ==
- Better bluetooth
- blah
- blah

Basically, it changes the viewpoint.

The major drawback is that the new stuff doesn't get as much lime light
as I'd like it to get (since we're proud of showcasing newest available
software in each release). I'd like to have a flyer dedicated to
changes, one that only goes "What's new in Fedora 20?". It's what most
of our users look forward to in a new release: "Ooooo! What's Fedora
changing this time? Is there a new software set?"

Thoughts?
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,