RFC: Initial text for users' flyer

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 16:35:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:59:06AM +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> From the recent comments, I think we're leaning towards the third, but
> it'll change quite a few things. For instance, instead of separate
> sections for Gnome3.10, KDE4.11, Sugar0.100, and E17, we'll have
> something like:

I think that's the best (the third approach).

> == Updated desktop interfaces! ==
> Fedora 20 updates the original set of available desktops: Gnome to 3.10,
> KDE to 4.11, Sugar to 0.100, XFCE, MATE, LXDE. These latest versions
> come with a bunch of fixes, optimisations and new shiny application
> sets. Fedora 20 also includes the powerful, yet flexible, Enlightment
> desktop shell which was released after a decade of development.

Are we assuming the audience knows what GNOME, KDE, etc. are?

I'd approach it like this:

== Stunning, Stable User Interface ==

Fedora 20 provides a polished, stable desktop that comes with an
excellent selection of applications for fun and productivity. Whether
you're writing a report, school paper, doing a spreadsheet, or managing
music and photos, Fedora has everything you need right at your
fingertips.

# # #

For users who aren't familiar with the applications, I think "KDE,
Sugar, XFCE, MATE" is a little overwhelming.

> Similarly, instead of Apache OOO and Libreoffice, we'll have:
> == Not one, but two office suites! ==
> etc.

I wouldn't even mention that. (And, technically, don't we also have
KOffice, etc.?)

> The major drawback is that the new stuff doesn't get as much lime light
> as I'd like it to get (since we're proud of showcasing newest available
> software in each release). I'd like to have a flyer dedicated to
> changes, one that only goes "What's new in Fedora 20?". It's what most
> of our users look forward to in a new release: "Ooooo! What's Fedora
> changing this time? Is there a new software set?"

I think we'll still highlight the newest software, but not in the flier.
In other communications, we'll still be broadcasting that.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Open Source and Standards, Red Hat