Posts from the Planet to the Magazine

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Oct 30 06:59:50 UTC 2013

On Oct 29, 2013 8:45 PM, "Mike Ruckman" <roshi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:45:01 -0500
> Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:01:57PM +0200, Zacharias Mitzelos wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > On the Monday's meeting[1] we discussed about creating a new
> > > category and adding it in the main menu of the Fedora Magazine. In
> > > this new category we can choose every week an article from Fedora
> > > Planet, and publish it in the magazine as well. Roshi stepped
> > > forward on this, and said he can choose articles from the planet
> > >
> > > Thoughts/flames?
> >
> > Don't forget comments. ;-)
> >
> > Quick thought: Do we have permission to republish material that
> > appears on the Planet to the magazine? Skimming the Planet Howto I
> > don't see that we grant permission for forklifting materials from our
> > blog to another publication. It may seem like a triviality/formality,
> > but it's possible that we'd annoy a contributor if we post something
> > on the magazine without asking first.
> >
> > So, we plan to ask first, right?
> >

> > Best,
> >
> > jzb
>
> My thoughts initially (not sure if I actually *said* anything about it
> though) were to find some posts we liked, vote which we wanted to
> publish for the week then contact the person who wrote it and see if
> they minded. This might help out with people wanting to be part of
> marketing and the magazine. Was also thinking we could get a badge made
> for it :)

I like it. At first I thought "$EXPLETIVE, I hope this isn't suggesting we
pipe the planet feed into the Magazine just to have more content!". Weekly
features is ideal.  It wouldn't be a good idea to lean too heavily on a
small group of bloggers though, even if their posts are consistently more
suited to the venue.

> was actually pondering something similar. I've learned a great deal
> from the Python Module of the Week [1] and thought it might be fun
> (though time consuming) to do something with Fedora packages or tools -
> like deltaisos. Those are awesome.

Something like "*New* Package of the Week" would be interesting too. It
would have the side benefit of being more likely to include and involve
newly sponsored packagers.

--Pete