Fedora 20 Marketing Tasks

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 12:04:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> With the naming done for the F20 release[1] I started thinking "what
> does the marketing team need to do for the Fedora 20 release."
>
> It turns out, we have a list of tasks already[2]. I wanted to check to
> see if anyone is working on some/all of these, and suggest we think
> about creating Trac tickets for some/all of the tasks.
>
> Some of the tasks that jumped out at me that we should begin working on,
> with an eye to the schedule[3]:
>
> - Create Talking Points (Due: Yesterday)
> - Proposed Changes Profiles (Due: Oct. 1st, start: Yesterday)
> - Create Alpha Release Announcement (Marketing w/Docs: Due Sept. 12)
> - Review Firefox Bookmarks for Update (Due: Sept. 24)
>
> I've already started a Wiki page for the talking points and put up an
> outline, but haven't filled anything in yet. [4] I will start adding to
> that page this week, but others are welcome to jump in as well -
> especially interested in feedback from folks who've worked on the
> talking points previously.
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames, volunteers?

I think it makes sense to look at the changes list as a whole and see if
there are any common themes in what's being offered this time around - and
consider building the talking points and the release announcement around
those themes. That's the approach I took last time around, and most of the
press folks I talk to seemed to really like it; some of that background is
documented in archives:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2013-March/014903.html

For proposed changes profiles - I think once we have the lists of the
broader set of features to highlight that we're writing into talking points
and/or release announcement - it's worthwhile to go through that list in a
marketing meeting and think about 3 or 4 different in-depth profiles that
we could do, and see if the change owner is willing to participate in the
process (IRC interviews, sanity checking content, etc.)  We are of course
able to do more than 3 or 4, but I think if we can at least define the top
priorities that is a good start.

Also: While looking through archives I found this note on the crossover
between docs and marketing on certain items - and it might be worth just
reaching out to the docs folks to discuss a game plan for this cycle.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2013-April/014913.html

-robyn