Do we have a style guide for Fedora Magazine? Should we?

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Sat Aug 2 21:32:06 UTC 2014

On 08/02/2014 11:57 AM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> Be sure to inform the writers of these posts too, so they know of their
> mistakes. Now we have a somewhat consensus on sentence case for titles,
> we can fix titles, then inform the writer why they were changed. Nothing
> worse than having ones post copy edited and updated but not knowing when
> and why it was changed.

Generally, I'm used to having my copy edited without notice and don't
care that it was changed so long as it doesn't negatively affect the
copy. [1]

If we want to put the burden on volunteer editors to follow up with
authors for simply grammatical or style changes, we can do that. But I
don't know that it's the best approach.

I do take the approach of asking before making any edits I'm unsure of
where it's going to change/clarify meaning and it's not entirely clear
what the author meant. We should absolutely notify authors for any edits
that might change meaning of something under their byline.

[1] I once had an editor assume that I'd gotten the pronouns wrong, and
changed "she" to "he" in a story that quoted Allison Randal (then
best-known for her work w/Perl). Subsequently, I got a fair number of
nasty-grams calling *me* an idiot b/c they assumed *I* didn't know
Allison was not a male. As you might expect, this made me a bit unhappy...

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst