ZDNet: Fedora 21: Worth the Wait

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 04:25:20 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 05:10 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 05:59:38PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> In the past, we've sort of maintained wiki pages where we collected what
>>> the press said about our releases. I've never been sure of why we did
>>> this - do we need such pages? Should we do it again for F21?
>>> An example is: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_19_press_archive
>> A good question. What will we use such a wiki page for? Did we use the
>> previous versions?

Looks like there's also one for 20, though much fewer listings.

A couple of reasons to keep that kind of thing:

- You can see over time how Fedora was covered, and it gives us some
idea what we did right or wrong in publicizing Fedora.

- Record of publications that have covered Fedora in the past and might
be interested in covering Fedora in the future.

- To tell if release notes/talking points were effective. Do you see the
same points turning up in the articles that we have highlighted?

Note it's sort of a mirror of the kind of things PR departments/firms
provide to clients "here's the press clippings, you can see how much (or
little) coverage we've helped provide."

> We've been talking about getting more insight into how Fedora is
> perceived and used. The reaction of the tech press is certainly a form
> of feedback. I don't know if gathering it into a wiki page is
> particularly useful or not. Joe did a Fedora Magazine article on Fedora
> 21 Beta coverage at:
> <http://fedoramagazine.org/extra-extra-great-feedback-on-fedora-21-beta/>
>
> And I found that at least _interesting_ (and it included a few that I'd
> missed).

It's not useful if we don't do any sort of post-mortem after F21 to
decide what we've done well, poorly, not enough of, etc. Either way I'll
plan to do a final-coverage article on Fedora Magazine later in the
week, but I also think having it on the wiki is useful for planning
future releases.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst