Fedora marketing is dead

Giannis Konstantinidis giankonstantinidis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:11:11 UTC 2014

Hi Guiseppe,
with all due respect, I think you're exaggerating a lot. There's no need to
start "a war" against another project. There's no need to prove why Fedora
is better than the x or y distro. We all promote the core values of free
and open source software and it's always so nice to collaborate with other
projects.

When people claim that they think the x or y distro is better than Fedora,
try to focus on the strengths of Fedora instead of opening a flame war.
Some things for example that make me a proud Fedora contributor are the 4
Foundations, with their deep meaning. So a few ideas to speak the good word
about Fedora are:
- The fact that Fedora has one of the biggest and best communities out there
- Fedora respects the users' freedom, thus it ships with only free software
by default
- Fedora is always innovative and trying to be ahead of other projects (in
a good way)
- Fedora is upstream, so stuff that you see for the first time in Fedora
are shared with other projects
And trust me, out of experience, facts like these will get their attention
and they will think again about it.
And in the end, everyone is free to choose whatever distro they wish, we're
doing our best to spread the love about our project and get as many
users/contributors as possible, but it's obvious that not everyone can be
turned into a Fedora user/contributor.

As far as the magazine goes, there's no absolute reason to start posting
installation guides and stuff like that, you can find stuff like these on
the official documentation or even on Youtube.

And by the way, I'm not a member of the marketing team, I'm and ambassador
who's just reading the fedora marketing mailing list and this caught my
attention. And from a third person observer perspective, I think that the
marketing team is doing very good work in aiding to the promotion of the
Fedora Project in general.

Again, we're taking part in no battle, there's no war out there and we're
not losing anything. I personally think there's nothing wrong with Fedora
or with its community so far and I like the way it is. :)

~giannisk

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Zacharias Mitzelos <
zacharias.mitzelos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Giuseppe joined fedora marketing last week, and he was interested in
> contributing to the magazine as well, so I made him an account there.
>
> Zacharias
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:15:21 -0400
> From: croberts at croberts.org
> To: marketing at lists.fedoraproject.org; rsuehle at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Fedora marketing is dead
>

> >> We'd love to have you as a contributor on Fedora Magazine. Feel free to
> join the marketing team and submit an article any time.
>
> We are getting quite a bit of traffic on the Fedora Magazine as I have
> passed the stats on to Matthew Miller. Especially since Fedora Magazine has
> made LWN with Matt's post about Fedora Next. Just on his post alone one day
> we had around 1200 visitors. Like Ruth said we would love to have more
> contributions to the Fedora Magazine.
>
> Here is a link on how to get started:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Magazine
>
> Thanks,