Fedora marketing is dead

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 10:32:20 UTC 2014

Giuseppe Pignataro píše v Út 25. 03. 2014 v 19:40 +0100:
> Ok folks now I have your attention.
>
> We have to start to make some noise about Fedora.
>
> We don't have the basics things,that are the minimum to start.
>
> First, no official page on social network. This isn't a good thing.
>
> I have tried to search fedora on Facebook and this
> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fedora-informatica/655798371147619
> and this https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fedora-Project/103128663061181
>
> are the only things that came out.
>
> We need an official facebook page,have you seen the ubuntu page on
> facebook https://www.facebook.com/ubuntulinux
> 978k people liked that page.
>
> This can be first part of the war.
>
> Google+ and all the other social can have the official page and the
> official account.

Hi,
speaking of Facebook, it has become a really bad platform to promote
recently. As Ruth already pointed out we do have an official page.
Within a year after it became an official page we increased the fan base
from 25k to 40k. But Facebook changed the way fan page's posts are shown
on user's news feed.
Our messages reach significantly lower number of people now. The
increase of new fans has literally stopped. While we got 15k new members
in one year, we only got 250 new members in the last 4 months!
Before the change our messages easily reached 10-15k people while now
it's around 2k (compare the number with our 40k fan base).
Of course, when I'm advised all around to pay for the messages to reach
more people. So it's all about monetization.

I'm saying this so that you don't get high hopes for Facebook. It's not
a good, effective platform to promote your thing unless you want to pay
for it (to get the same amount of reached people as before we would have
to pay ~$25 for each message).

Jiri