Copyright Submission Proposal

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 17:49:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:42:03PM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
> To streamline this whole thing, can we just agree to publish all content
> on the magazine (and ask authors to agree) on a single Creative Commons
> license?
> I would *personally* prefer the most restrictive of the CC licenses (CC
> BY-NC-ND 4.0):
> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
> But I'd accept most of the CC licenses.
> Thoughts, comments, flames?

I think we should ask for BY-SA *without* ND so that we can more easily
reuse the content in other Fedora contexts (documentation, marketing
materials) -- and so other people can use it in non-Fedora contexts with
proper credit. I think that fits best with our mission (and the open content
aspect of it).

I understand the rationale behind wanting NC, but it's actually on our list
of unacceptable licenses in Fedora. See
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#Bad_Licenses_3>