fedora magazine copyright/license

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 19:52:33 UTC 2014

So a response to mattdm's posting:

> Right now, Fedora Magazine content says "Copyright Fedora
> Magazine. All Rights Reserved" at the bottom. Is "Fedora Magazine"
> an entity which can actually hold copyrights?

No, but that doesn't matter.

> I think we should change this to something more like the copyright notice at
> the bottom of the wiki --
>
>    Copyright © 2014 Red Hat, Inc. and others. All Rights Reserved. For
>    comments or queries, please contact us. The Fedora Project is maintained
>    and driven by the community and sponsored by Red Hat. This is a community
>    maintained site. Red Hat is not responsible for content. Content is
>    available under Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported unless otherwise
>    noted.

I object.

Red Hat has been on record for some years objecting to the Gilligan's
Island Copyright. This was supposed to be fixed years ago for the wiki
and never was. This was also supposed to be fixed for documentation
but I don't believe it ever was.

Under CC BY-SA 3.0 section 4, Red Hat requests removal of its name
from these Gilligan's Island copyright notices. You can use "Copyright
© 2014 others." if you wish.

Opensource.com has been used as a legal model here (whether that is a
good idea or not I'm not sure) and it does not use any copyright
notice, Gilligan's Island or otherwise.

My suggestion: If you feel you need a copyright notice at all, even
though you don't, please use "Copyright <YEAR> Fedora Magazine Authors".

For the love of $DEITY do not use "All Rights Reserved", this was
deprecated by Red Hat seven years ago or more.

I don't care too much about, er, the rest.

- RF