Fedora marketing is dead

Gabriele Trombini (mailga) mailga at fedoraonline.it
Thu Mar 27 10:23:27 UTC 2014

Good morning,

let me answer quoting your points:

In data giovedì 27 marzo 2014 00:53:27, Giuseppe Pignataro ha
scritto:
> Hi malga,
> Marketing have to port people to know the distro. And the
ambassadors have
> to speak about the philosophy and the idea of Fedora.
>
> An ambassador can contacting few people. Marketing with the
power of the
> Web can contact million of people.

Yes, that's why I said marketing team works on a higher level, giving
tools to ambassadors and keep in touch with worldwide media (press,
TV etc.).

It's not a easy way of doing; it needs a db with contacts and, overall,
find this contacts.
In my mind we need this steps:

1) find a contact in each country who has in turn contacts with local
media, an ambassador or other people (local RH offices?), local
contributors know very well the real situation in their countries;

2) find people who translate in their native language the marketing
statements (an ambassador?);

3) set up a group of fedora contributors in order to help the "central"
marketing team on holding contact with local entities (this doesn't
means replace Famsco which coordinates ambassador activity).

> The ambassadors are making a good work, but the problem is that
they speak
> only on event that are dedicated to linux or directly to software.
>
> My sister don't go to a Foss. But she have a PC.
>
> What we have to do with that people?
>
> We have to ignore them?
>
> This isn't a good marketing strategy.

Yes, this is right and I would love change this "status quo", but without
a organisation like the one I explained before, we can't do that.

There are a lot of people into mktg team (you can easily take a look)
but few of them are really involved (and this is a criticism to myself,
because I'm doing really nothing for the team, in these days), so the
first issue to solve is finding contributors.

At last I know that Famsco is doing a awesome work producing swag,
but ideas for them IMHO are complement of the marketing strategy
along with design team.

Obviously we should find more contributors for the fedmag.

This is only my 2 cents, don't kill me :-D.

Gabri