Social Media Trends

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Mar 27 12:57:31 UTC 2014

On Mar 27, 2014 6:36 AM, "Jaroslav Reznik" <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
Marketing in
> > particular? Is there something in here which you think should inform our
> > actions? Links are okay; thoughts are better. :)
>
> It can help us to target on platform, we're not visible right now. On the
> other hand, it's not only about numbers. See Jiri's recent post about how
> Facebook treats pages - and with more users on Facebook, we have lower
> visibility than on G+...
>
> Jaroslav
>
> > --
> > Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm at fedoraproject.org
>
> > --

Here's a half baked idea:

Define a contest for $socialmediaplatform users; best screenshot, best ham
setup, most interesting 3D printed object made with Fedora, most effective
cloud deployment, whatever might be appropriate for that subset.

Publicize the contest in advance, and open the submission for a limited
window.  Users share their submission in the project's space on whatever
platform, for review by the others.

The submission with the most likes/+1s/shares/scoobysnacks gets rewarded
with some enviable swag, maybe a badge, and the winner is announced more
broadly.

If you have to spend for visibility, you might as well give the money to
the community :)

--Pete