F21 media

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 15:01:06 UTC 2014

Jiri Eischmann píše v St 03. 09. 2014 v 13:41 +0200:
> Hi,
> yesterday in FAmSCo, we started a discussion what media we should
> produce for F21.
> We have been producing Multidesktop Live DVD for many releases, but with
> the Fedora.Next changes we need to revisit it.
> In FAmSCo, we've pretty much agreed that Multidesktop Live DVD is not
> very aligned with the Fedora.Next initiative where we want to emphasize
> the official products and those products should be delivered as clear
> offerings all the way to the users. Merging them with other spins means
> that the clear product offering is lost before it reaches the users.
> Although Multidesktop Live DVD is economically the best solution, it is
> not from the marketing perspective and doesn't deliver the message of
> Fedora.Next products.
>
> Suggestions that have come up at the meeting:
> * the Cloud product doesn't really need a DVD media,
> * having one DVD with Workstation and Server Products,
> * having separate DVDs with Workstation and Server,
> * creating additional DVD with other flavors of Fedora (other desktops,
> many other specialized spins?) if there is enough interest and demand.
>
> Christoph Wickert is going to bring it up on the workstation and server
> group mailing lists and I'd like to start the discussion here because
> this is very related to marketing. Opinions? :)
>
> Jiri
>
> P.S. we also discussed replacing DVDs with usb flash drives. As much as
> we'd love to offer flash drives instead of DVDs it's still not a viable
> option because flash drives are still 10x more expensive than DVDs. Not
> much has changed there in the last two years :/

We discussed the topic in FAmSCo again.
The topic was discussed on several mailing lists and we've only
registered strong demand for DVDs of Fedora Workstation. There have been
some suggestions to add Fedora Server to FW as a virtual machine, but no
one has volunteered to execute this idea and we really need to move the
matter forward.
So the plan is to produce Fedora Workstation DVDs, 64bit only because we
don't know of 32-bit computers which could run FW reasonably. We may
also consider some less power hungry option for the regions of APAC and
LATAM (probably Xfce Spin). But it only will be an alternative, Fedora
Workstation DVD is what we want to distribute globally.
The quantities and whether the alternative DVD will be produced is at
the discretion of the regions because the production is paid from their
budgets and they're the closest to users, so they should know the best
what they need.

Other kinds of media might be also considered and used in the end, but
it doesn't stop the DVD production because DVDs will remain our primary
media for this release.

The plan is of course a subject of change. I just felt it was necessary
to push it forward and propose a concrete solution because there is not
much time left.

Jiri