firefox start page no longer start.fpo -- do we want that?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 26 17:38:12 UTC 2014

In Rawhide and F21 alpha (and beta), the start page for firefox is now
about:newtab, with start.fedoraproject.org a pinned page.

>From the stats on Fedora Magazine — which means someone saw a headline
there and clicked — it's getting a _lot_ of use. Generating magazine
traffic is good, but even more importantly, this is one of our key
channels of communication to users.

Since the pinned page doesn't show you the new headlines, I'm concerned
that we're going to lose a lot from this switch. (We could of course
also pin the magazine directly, but, again, no headlines...)

Do we want to ask the package maintainer to revert the change? I know
there was some talk of updating the start.fpo design, but that seems
like a separate consideration.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>