Is Marketing interested in becoming part of a new "Fedora Outreach Steering Committee"?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 27 13:39:43 UTC 2014

Take a look at <https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/373> (you should
be able to once you're logged in; the FAmSCo trac requires a FAS
account but I don't think anything else). From that ticket:

    With the new Fedora Council, some of the broader budget discussions
    are being brought up into a higher project level, and at the same
    time, FAmSCo has successfully delegated other responsibilities down
    to the regional ambassadors' committees.

    Meanwhile, the project really lacks coordination between various
    areas of outreach — Ambassadors, Marketing, Design Team (which is
    responsible for branding), and support efforts like Ask Fedora and
    even Documentation and Web. This may also include areas of the new
    Fedora.next Working Groups which touch on these areas — branding,
    marketing, conference attendance in support of a particular
    product, and etc.

    The new Outreach Representative on the Council is meant to help
    with this, but: a) we'd like that person to be selected by an
    elected community body, and FAmSCo is the current closest match,
    even though it doesn't encompass everything, b) having a group with
    this shared responsibility reduces the workload on one single
    individual, c) having a committee connected into the various groups
    will help prevent cases where that person happens to have a
    blindspot due to their background in the project, and d) having a
    coordinated outreach group would be useful in itself.

This new "FOSCo" group would mirror FESCo, and to jointly represent the
interests of all of the outreach-oriented parts of the project. And,
clearly, Marketing is one of the key areas that would fall under that
banner.

The current FAmSCo group is generally in favor, but also in some ways
that is the group which would be least impacted. So, what do you think?

If people are generally in favor, I'm thinking we'd start this with the
post-F21 elections.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>