F21 media

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 11:41:02 UTC 2014

Hi,
yesterday in FAmSCo, we started a discussion what media we should
produce for F21.
We have been producing Multidesktop Live DVD for many releases, but with
the Fedora.Next changes we need to revisit it.
In FAmSCo, we've pretty much agreed that Multidesktop Live DVD is not
very aligned with the Fedora.Next initiative where we want to emphasize
the official products and those products should be delivered as clear
offerings all the way to the users. Merging them with other spins means
that the clear product offering is lost before it reaches the users.
Although Multidesktop Live DVD is economically the best solution, it is
not from the marketing perspective and doesn't deliver the message of
Fedora.Next products.

Suggestions that have come up at the meeting:
* the Cloud product doesn't really need a DVD media,
* having one DVD with Workstation and Server Products,
* having separate DVDs with Workstation and Server,
* creating additional DVD with other flavors of Fedora (other desktops,
many other specialized spins?) if there is enough interest and demand.

Christoph Wickert is going to bring it up on the workstation and server
group mailing lists and I'd like to start the discussion here because
this is very related to marketing. Opinions? :)

Jiri

P.S. we also discussed replacing DVDs with usb flash drives. As much as
we'd love to offer flash drives instead of DVDs it's still not a viable
option because flash drives are still 10x more expensive than DVDs. Not
much has changed there in the last two years :/