F21 media

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 13:26:18 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 06:41 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday in FAmSCo, we started a discussion what media we should
> produce for F21.
> We have been producing Multidesktop Live DVD for many releases, but with
> the Fedora.Next changes we need to revisit it.
> In FAmSCo, we've pretty much agreed that Multidesktop Live DVD is not
> very aligned with the Fedora.Next initiative where we want to emphasize
> the official products and those products should be delivered as clear
> offerings all the way to the users. Merging them with other spins means
> that the clear product offering is lost before it reaches the users.
> Although Multidesktop Live DVD is economically the best solution, it is
> not from the marketing perspective and doesn't deliver the message of
> Fedora.Next products.
>
> Suggestions that have come up at the meeting:
> * the Cloud product doesn't really need a DVD media,
> * having one DVD with Workstation and Server Products,
> * having separate DVDs with Workstation and Server,
> * creating additional DVD with other flavors of Fedora (other desktops,
> many other specialized spins?) if there is enough interest and demand.
>
> Christoph Wickert is going to bring it up on the workstation and server
> group mailing lists and I'd like to start the discussion here because
> this is very related to marketing. Opinions? :)

Thanks. I'm assuming we're actually talking about physical media to hand
out at events?

Do we really need server media? I'd expect that in most environments
where someone is using the server product they 1) have sufficient
bandwidth to download the image, and 2) have the expertise to handle
creating their own USB or CD/DVD.

I'd keep it simple and produce the Workstation image for events/user
groups, and maybe a "getting started" card for server/cloud that directs
people to the downloads/cloud images.

> P.S. we also discussed replacing DVDs with usb flash drives. As much as
> we'd love to offer flash drives instead of DVDs it's still not a viable
> option because flash drives are still 10x more expensive than DVDs. Not
> much has changed there in the last two years :/

Agreed there.

Best,

jzb

--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst