Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 15:40:29 UTC 2014

Jared K. Smith píše v St 10. 09. 2014 v 14:09 -0400:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Eeek. Don't call it an "appstore" else the lawyers get all
>         jumpy. I've
>         been referring to it all the time as an "application
>         installer" as I
>         don't fancy fighting that fight.
>

> I have to agree here -- not so much because I don't want any sort of a
> legal trouble, but because there's no "store" to speak of.  (Unless,
> of course, you use "store" to mean "storage", and not "a place to buy
> things".)  Since we don't charge money for any of the applications, I
> have a hard time calling it a store.  Let's call it an "application
> installer" or a "software installer", but not an application store,
> please.

What about calling it an "app catalog"? It doesn't imply we sell apps
and the name is not currently used or claimed by anyone AFAIK (HP used
to have App Catalog for their webOS, but that's dead now).
Frankly, I don't like calling it an installer because there is a
qualitative difference between an installer and the kind of application
GNOME Software is trying to be.
What comes to my mind when I hear the word "installer" is a program that
installs whatever you ask it to install, but I think GNOME Software is
more than that. It shows in a fashionable way what the platform offers
app-wise. And it also takes care of updates btw.

Jiri