Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:35:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 09:46:07AM -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Here are some draft notes I prepared to try to help our marketing team
> build up some release notes and press material on the Fedora Workstation release.
> Already sent it to the Working Group members, but I thought I send it out to these two
> lists for further review and suggestions.

I took a shot at revising Christian's notes, using the feedback from
the thread thus far.  With this revision I tried to reduce the level
of formality, the amount of technical terminology, and overall
sentence length and complexity.  I also introduced some bullet points
where I felt it made the text more readable.  I also renamed the
Software tool here to "App Catalog" because the ease of the tool does
remind me of e.g. a retail store catalog.

Presented here for your (most welcome!) slings and arrows:

* * *

The Fedora Workstation is a new take on desktop development from the
Fedora Community. Our goal is to pick the best components, and
integrate and polish them.  This work results in a more polished and
targeted product than you've previously seen from the Fedora
desktop. We want our desktop operating system to solve your problems,
not be your problem.

Easy access to all your software

The cornerstone of the Fedora Workstation is the App Catalog, which
lets you find all kinds of applications quickly and easily. The
improvements to the App Catalog in Fedora 21 provide a responsive and
fast user experience. In addition, Fedora packagers have worked with
developers around the world to greatly improve the number of featured
applications.

Improvements to the Terminal application

We want developers to have a great experience, so a strong Terminal
application is absolutely important.  We've integrated a set of
additional features in the Terminal, such as:

* Support for transparent backgrounds
* Automatic title updates to help you identify different terminals
* A simple toggle for system keybindings in both the Terminal and
  GNOME desktop overview to help you search for Terminals by name

Experimental Wayland Support

Wayland is a new and exciting technology that will power Linux
desktops of the future. With Fedora Workstation 21 you can visit the
future now, and see how well your applications work with Wayland. You
can also experiment with making your applications take advantage of
Wayland's new capabilities. Much of the core Wayland development comes
from Fedora Workstation contributors, so this is your chance to try
out Wayland straight from the source.

Developer Assistant

We recognize developers need an easy and straightforward way to set up
many different programming environments. In Fedora Workstation, we
offer the Developer Assistant, which takes care of this setup for a
large number of language runtimes and IDEs. And now, thanks to its
integration with new Fedora Software Collections, multiple versions of
different languages are available to suit your needs.

Ease of installation

We want the installation of the Fedora Workstation to be as
straightforward and simple as possible. In Fedora Workstation we've
distilled this process down to selecting the layout of your physical
media, and then pressing "Install."  (In fact, you can even let the
installer choose the disk layout for you.)  And because the future of
installations is not optical disks, we ship with an easy to use tool
to help you create bootable USB sticks.

Toolkit integration

We recognize you have a job to do, and you want to use the tools that
let you get it done. That's why we've been working hard to make all
your applications in Fedora Workstation look and feel the same. From
the new theming for Qt to the ability to run HTML5 web services in a
chromeless window, we want all your apps to feel like a natural
extension to your desktop.

Support for extremely high resolution displays (HiDPI)

Technology never stands still, and as a software developer you're used
to using the best technology available. So we've spent a lot of time
and effort on supporting the new generation of HiDPI displays. That's
probably why Fedora has been called "the best of HiDPI."

Exciting roadmap

This Fedora Workstation release is not the end. It's the beginning of
a new era for Fedora on the desktop. We have a roadmap lined up to
bring a range of exciting new technologies to the Linux desktop:

* Containers
* Smarter virtual machines
* Better development tools
* More web integration
* ...and much more

So if you want to be part of the future of the Linux desktop be sure
to get on board now!

* * *