Proposal -- fortnightly magazine meeting

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 13:52:30 UTC 2014

On 09/13/2014 07:23 AM, Timothy Butterworth wrote:
> Is it possible to switch meetings to Google Hangouts? IRC is
> essentially dead technology.

"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." ~ IRC

IRC is a good "low barrier to entry" technology: It operates reasonably
well over slow connections, you can easily get into IRC with any number
of clients across all OSes, and doesn't require any proprietary
software. Some or all of those criteria may not be important to you
personally, but they are important to others.

Also, we use meeting logging software that helps keep track of
minutes/action items, etc. That doesn't work with Google Hangouts.
Skimming the log of an IRC meeting is much easier than trying to skim
through a recording of a hangout (assuming you're talking about using
the audio/video and not just a group chatroom - but meetbot still
doesn't work with Hangouts AFAIK).

Other folks may feel differently, but -1 here.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst