slashdot effect

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 30 22:26:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:02:20AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Speaking of Reddit... we should have the FPL do an AMA soon, or around
> one of the releases.

Ooh, yep.

> > * the joke is, of course, that it never was.
> Kinda disagree here. In its heyday, Slashdot could send a pretty hefty
> firehose of traffic if you made the front page. This was ~8+ years ago,
> though, then Digg started to supplant Slashdot [1], and then Reddit and
> other sites crushed Digg, etc.

Sorry; obscure comment. It's a joke because at least as early as 1999 there
was Slashdot trend which became kind of a meme where people would complain
about how the site sucked compared to how it used to be. Not that Slashdot
effect wasn't real.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>