RFC: Magazine post "Fedora 23 screenshot tour"

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 4 18:03:01 UTC 2015

On 08/04/2015 01:50 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> I'm also not at all confident if we'll be able to manage screenshots in
> all the languages that the site is translated into. It *may* just be
> possible if we pick a really small set of screenshots, but if we have
> as many as this[1] per language, it's going to be quite difficult.
>
> (zoglesby told us in the irc channel that this was why the docs didn't
> have too many screenshots either - they're supposed to be translated
> into 44 languages or thereabouts.)

I think the minimum to avoid being too jarring is to just have the
screenshots taken of Fedora running in the default language, but to have
the description of the screenshots in the user's language. Might be able
to get away with an auto-translation through something like babelfish or
translate.google (or offer a prominent redirect to the page viewed on
those sites.)

I don't want to kill a good idea with too much complexity / overheard,
just more trying to point out linking directly from a translated website
to an untranslated one can be a jarring experience and we should account
for that in some way (doesn't have to be the ideal, what-we'd-all-like
way, just something that shows some consideration)

~m