Magazine articles.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:50:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 01:25:26AM +0200, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> in the discussion I followed after both jzb and croberts talks at
> Flock, came out a couple of indications about writing another kind of
> magazine articles:
>
> 1) seems that short articles are more attractive than the long ones and
> they have to arouse the curiosity, so people reading may deepen the
> topic in a second time and more carefully.

I think this depends on the topic.  If you look at our stats, the best
performing recent post was Jiří's rather long article on Firefox
theme.  I don't remember a discussion of short vs. long articles, but
rather that *certain* long articles might not be best for the Magazine
-- like a very long article about a highly internal-focused topic,
like contributor statistics.

> 2) there's the need to have more user/contributor focused articles
> instead of technical explanation. People need to be part of the Project
> and there's nothing better than writing for them.

I think one thing we agreed on is that the reader we're looking to
reach is not limited just to desktop users.  Rather, we also want to
reach users of the Cloud edition, and users of the Server edition, and
provide useful articles for them as well.

I don't think we reached a complete agreement as to contributor
articles.  But I think people did agree there were certain types of
contributor topics that weren't appropriate for the general Magazine:

* election info
* team stats information
* meeting minutes