[Social Media] Fedora Magazine/Fedora Community Blog Updates?

Brian Proffitt bproffit at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 19:37:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 09:50:04AM -0500, Brian Proffitt wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > A while back I was notified that there was no need for me to schedule
> > tweets of new content from Fedora Magazine, as that was done
> automatically.
> > Lately, though, I have noted that this does not seem to be consistently
> > working. Is this something I can do?
>
> I can't speak to the community blog, but I know for the Magazine, we
> don't have a fully automatic posting mechanism.  We've been having
> editors add the social media posting as part of the general
> publication SOP, and if we happen to miss the moment of publication,
> we add tweets etc. as soon afterward as we can.
>
> It would be *great* to have help with this, especially if it
> contributes to consistency.  What would you propose?

I would suggest that for Fedora Magazine and the Community Blog, we follow
Justin's suggestion and use Jetpack (or an equivalent) to auto-post the
publication of new content to the Fedora accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and
Google+. As Joe said, I don't think this will flood the accounts at all.

Justin: I hear your concerns, but there isn't terribly much of a negative
effect if a social media account covers a broad range of topics. Yes, there
are certainly times when you want to break things up into targeted areas
(@redhatevents vs @redhatnews, for instance), but that's primarily a
marketing tool to channel customers into more direct consumer niches. If
the concern is content overload, then I would be interested to see if
JetPack or the equivalent would have scheduling capabilities.

BKP

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>   gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>   http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>     The open source story continues to grow: http://opensource.com

Brian Proffitt
Principal Community Analyst