magazine design refresh

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 18:15:28 UTC 2015

On 02/04/2015 10:48 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 10:37:57AM -0500, Ryan Lerch wrote:
>> Still not sold on those categories, tbh.
>> Maybe expand it a bit to something like this:
>> * News
>> * Community News
>> * Applications
>> * Five Things
>> * Tips & Tricks
>> Want to try to avoid specifying the audience as a category, rather
>> catergorize the posts on content than audience...
>> sorry if that doesnt make sense :(
> It makes sense just fine. I'm just not convinced. :)
>
> Your categories seem good too, but basically the audience question is
> the only reason I can think to really have categories _at all_ rather
> than just tags. We've had several discussions about not wanting to
> overwhelm users with contributor-focused content, but we _do_ have a
> lot of that too, and no where good to put it, and I don't want to
> start a _second_ blog....

Yeah, I also think we could be a little smarter with the contributor
focussed content too. Sure, f22 is branched -- that is good info for
contributors. But we can also give a little background on what this
actaully means, for the users that are not yet contributors :)

Dunno, maybe we just try not having categories -- only tags. A lot of
our readers are coming in to specific posts anyway at the moment, so
having categories wont really change much, TBH.

--ryanlerch