DNF Article

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 21:12:41 UTC 2015

On 7 February 2015 at 15:44, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I asked if it was a NASCAR thing bc if DNF means did not finish, it must
> have something to do with racing. I have a lot of experience in running and
> the leagues and road races I've ran in never used the term afaik. I have
> also watched the Boston Marathon in person more than once and I've never
> heard the term. So I thought maybe it was from auto racing, and I thought
> Bryan was from NC where NASCAR is quite popular so maybe it is a regional
> term. There was no negative connotation meant by asking if it was
> associated with NASCAR, I was just grasping at straws since I'd never heard
> of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_Not_Finish

I have seen it in horse racing and car racing in many forms.

Does it have bad connotations? Yes but if you go look for how people will
make up bad connotations for any letter combination (First Out on Race Day,
Garbage Machine, Infernal Bowel Movement, Cheesey Data Corporation, etc.)
The best way to deal with it is know that it has one and then make fun of
it before the other guys do.

> Either way it really seems like racing jargon to me, not part of the
> general lexicon, and not really a concern. If it is a concern the correct
> place to bring it up is with the developers, not here.
>

> --
Stephen J Smoogen.